Island Quilter is on the lovely Vashon Island — just a short ferry ride from Fauntleroy in West Seattle. Come out and see all the pretties!
You are currently browsing the archive for the Misc category.
Welcome all! Today is my stop on Daisy Janie’s Bee Block Blog Hop. We all got to play with her newest fabric collection, New Leaf, which also happens to be 100% GOTS certified organic cotton.
The two things that make these prints pop to me are the beautiful jewel tones and the curves within the designs.Jan’s guidance for the project was “turning over a new leaf” which I took to heart in a big way. It’s been a trying year around here … and a fresh start is exactly what I need. The leaf motif in the print on top in the picture below grabbed my attention and inspired the shapes in my block.
Let’s get started…
1. Pick four prints for the background. I chose these since they had small prints with not too much contrast.
2. Cut one 6.5″ square from each print.
3. Download the leaf template by clicking here and print one copy. Make sure you print at 100% so your leaves come out the right size (the box outline should measure 6.5″). Trace four copies of the leaf motif (four centers and 12 leaves) onto the liner of double sided fusible interfacing. Roughly cut them out.
4. Fuse the leaf motif pieces onto more New Leaf fabrics (not the 6.5″ squares). This is a perfect opportunity to frame/fussy cut some of the beautiful details within Jan’s New Leaf fabrics! After fusing, cut the leaves and centers out. Arrange onto the 6.5″ squares using the template printed out in Step 3 for placement.
Once you’re happy with the placement, remove the paper liners, double and triple check placement and fuse to the background fabric.
5. Stitch in a coordinating thread, about 1/8″ from the edge of the leaves and centers.
6. Arrange the four blocks, with the centers all pointing towards the center. Sew into a 12.5″ block.
Check out the fussy cuts!
I hope every enjoys making their block and playing with the beautiful organic fabrics! Many thanks to Jan for letting me play with her lovely new fabrics!
Check out all the other blocks:
Mon, 1/14 – Becky Moyer, My Fabric Obsession
Tues, 1/15 – Lynn Harris, The Little Red Hen
Wed, 1/16 – Candy Glendening, Candied Fabrics
Thurs, 1/17 – Holly DeGroot, Bijou Lovely
Fri, 1/18 – Melanie Thornton, Melanie Dramatic
Mon, 1/21 – Emily Cier, Carolina Patchworks
Tues, 1/22 – Rachael Gander, Imagine Gnats
Wed, 1/23 – Maureen Cracknell, Maureen Cracknell Handmade
Thurs, 1/24 – Leanne, She Can Quilt
Fri, 1/25 – Cindy Wiens, Live a Colorful Life
And for the Fat Quarter Word Scramble… the letter is I.
(see details on this here)
I’m off to California this week to teach at Road to CA.
As a result, no one will be sitting at my desk answering emails or shipping orders. If you want something mailed before I go, please place the order before 7pm (pacific) on Tuesday, January 22.
Normal shipping will resume Tuesday, January 29.
We’ve reached that time of year when work gets put on the backburner … but for a good reason. I plan on spending the next week or so cuddled up, wrapping and unwrapping presents, playing with toys and eating hypoallergenic cookies.
Orders will still ship but perhaps a not quite as quick as usually. Don’t forget, there’s always PDFs for instant gratification.
Color, Block & Quilt is working its way through Amazon and is now available in many other countries:
Thank you everyone for a wonderful year. <3
I hope you and yours have a fabulous holiday season in whatever way you choose to celebrate it.
For one day only, my third book, Pixel Play, will be just $15.
Fine Print and Details:
Choose your shipping option in the listing before you check out. The options are:
– Ship Now
– Hold Until the End of The 12 Days (Think you might want more? I’ll hold off shipping until the end of The 12 Days. Shipping will be automatically added each time you check out. At the end of The 12 Days, I’ll pack up all your goodies and refund any shipping overage.)
The Days will switch around 9-10am Pacific Time.